NEW PROTOCOLS TO FOLLOW WHEN GOING TO THE ER
When should I go to the hospital if I think I have contracted COVID?:
- We are advising any patients who may have any symptoms of COVID-19 including cough, fever, and shortness of breath to contact their primary care doctors.
- We are also advising any patients who may exhibit warnings signs for COVID-19, to seek immediate medical attention by calling 911 or going directly to an emergency room. According to the CDC, these warning signs include difficulty breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, confusion or inability to arouse and bluish lips or face.
- Remember to wash and sanitize your hands upon entering and after leaving any medical facility. Hand sanitizer is routinely available for this purpose.
- Hospitals are limiting patients in the waiting room. A friend or family member who accompanied you to the hospital will most likely have to remain outside.
- If the triage nurse or physician, determines your situation is not critical, you may be asked to wait outside until they are ready to see you.
- The patient load on the hospitals during this crisis is almost overwhelming. The hospitals and emergency rooms may experience delays in seeing non-critical patients not only due to patient volume, but also because of coronavirus related protocols. For example, the decontamination protocols between patients are extensive. All surfaces including examination chairs, counter tops, floors, knobs, handles and equipment will be wiped-down with appropriate hospital-grade anti-microbial agents between patients. All restrooms will be cleaned after each use.
- Masks and Gloves – You must wear a mask while in the hospital. Although most masks are not 100% effective, they are intended to serve to puroposes: Reduce the risk of a person from inhaling an airborne virus and potentially prevent an infected person from spreading the virus.
As more is learned about the coronavirus and as more treatment options hopefully become available, these initial protocols will most likely change and evolve.Leave a reply →